As much as I enjoy a good loot table, simply prattling off a series of numbers and such attached to the gear and knowing exactly what you’re getting simply doesn’t feel very magical to me. Even if you’re playing as a seasoned archeologist or dungeoneer or whatever, it never made much sense for someone to pick up a random shiny on the ground and knowing precisely what it is and what it does, Detect Magic or not. Instead, what I have here is a list of various item descriptions. By all means, add whatever stats to them you feel appropriate. I just find descriptions more fun to play around with and keep a sense of mystique while looting.
If you wish to receive updates of more #RPHook, #RPArtifact, or #DnDNPC ideas as they come, feel free to follow me on Twitter @Shenorai. There are other DMs, GMs, and Players alike who also share ideas under such tags. Keep an eye out!
d20 #RPArtifact Loot : 1-20
- The previous owner of this War Razor took excellent care of it. Its handle is chased silver.
- This pair of silver Flyssas once belonged to a winged princess. Inactive runes are carved into the blades.
- You’ve found a peculiar teapot able to hold and dispense two separate liquids as you please.
- The jewel in this circlet aids in focusing arcane spells, but it leaves behind an arcane mark upon your brow!
- According to the inscription around the base, this ivory chess piece summons a Mephit. Is this part of a set?
- This harp is made of whale bone. He who plays it feels compelled to sing laments and elegies.
- When one whispers, “Give me my bearings,” to this unassuming marble, a glowing fish appears and swims North.
- The Merchant offers a discount on a pair of Cold Iron Daggers. He claims the daggers whisper maddening secrets.
- As you adorn this Fur Cloak, you feel a primal urge to spill the blood of your enemies!
- This tome illustrates its blank pages with every location it teleports from. Tear out a page to return there.
- Strewn across the floor are the unbound pages of a Magus’s spellbook. Its leather cover is ripped apart!
- The music from an Enchanted Lyre kept the Storm Dragons at bay. The strings have snapped.
- You don’t hear anything when you blow upon this silver whistle, but it has summoned a messenger bird for you.
- This delicate choker alters your voice to sound like a stern elder woman. When worn, you are repulsed by filth.
- Flash sale in the market for Ioun Stones!
- What you thought was a drawstring purse is actually a Mimic seeking affection. Welcome to parenthood!
- These sandals have a surprisingly good grip upon wooden surfaces!
- You realize too late after adorning these Gauntlets that they are cursed! Still, foes have trouble disarming you.
- Crafted by a Dwarf with an iron liver, this decanter doubles the proof of most alcoholic drinks that fills it.
- A Knight presents a shield. “Your mother made this for you so she can continue to protect you on your journey.”