It’s easy to forget that an NPC isn’t just a quest marker for the players to interact with. They, like most others in the world, are people with their own habits, culture, occupations, and what have you. I may not be able to bring characters fully to life for you, but I can create a spark of an idea for you to play with. Twenty sparks at a time, to be precise. From there, you can turn the idea into a beloved or most hated character for your players to look forward to interacting with!
If you wish to receive updates of more #RPHook, #RPArtifact, or #DnDNPC ideas as they come, feel free to follow me on Twitter @Shenorai. There are other DMs, GMs, and Players alike who also share ideas under such tags. Keep an eye out!
d20 #DnDNPC Folk : 1-20
- Deep in the slums of the metropolis, a young Druid creates small Fairy homes in the alleyways for lost Pixies.
- The Blacksmith’s eccentric nephew is a Pyromancer who, after falling on hard times, works as an assistant at the forge.
- A Harekin visits the Tavern one night a week to run a gambling hall. Some claim he cheats. He claims he has lucky feet.
- A Wizard has been creating a variety of Mimics to protect his tower. He’s clearly paranoid of looters and ‘adventurers’.
- The Librarian is a Mouseling hoping to become a Wizard. She is occasionally teased for keeping cats around the library.
- An Ambassador of the Pixie Kingdom has been sent on a mission to better understand Humans and Humanoid races.
- You’ve heard of a pair of twin lads who linger near the docks; Mermen who keep a careful eye out for drowning swimmers.
- A bubbly Healer has a supply of enchanted gauze. She’s convinced that bandages heal everything. EVERYTHING.
- The General isn’t impressed with the party’s achievements & reputation, but is assigned to work alongside you regardless.
- You learn of a mute Human Squire who relies upon his family heirloom, a Singing Sword, to do the talking for him.
- A Wizard and her Apprentice provide Living Topiary as a security measure for the local nobility. The Druids are unhappy.
- The Duke’s loyal servant is a well-dressed and well-mannered Tengu who takes great pride in his immaculate appearance.
- A Sorcerer’s Apprentice may not remember who he or his instructor is, but he remembers being displeased with the party.
- The Blacksmith growls, “I’m warning ye, Bard. Keep away from mah daughters if ye wanna keep both o’ yer heads!”
- A Halfling Druid makes his living by harvesting & selling rare truffles. His trusty mount, a large Boar, sniffs them out.
- Much to your surprise, the shopkeeper isn’t a child-like Halfling, but a Human Child with a talent for crafting wands!
- An injured Gnome is found staggering in a ditch alongside the main road. He is paranoid of anyone wielding a dagger.
- The arena’s reigning champion is a Gnoll Ranger. She enjoys a challenge, letting her foes pick the arena’s environment.
- A Squire seems completely oblivious to his obsession of owls, despite wearing owl embellishments upon his shield & garb.
- You finally realize why the Seer hardly leaves her wagon when parked in town: She is, in truth, A Serpentine Lamia!